Morning practice got fogged out, and with yesterday’s rain-interrupted second practice, IZOD IndyCar teams found themselves short on track time heading into today’s quali. Made for an interesting session…
Since we’re racing in the deep south – the birthplace of the blues – we thought we’d have a little fun with this week’s qualifying order. We used a standard blues name generator to get names for the drivers, and then tweaked them a bit for a racing touch.
Who’s livin’ it up and who’s singing the blues?
- Helio Castroneves (@h3lio) – Let’s just say Sonny Blockin’ Thompkins is one happy polecat.
- James Hinchcliffe (@Hinchtown) – Lefty T. Wright ain’t messin’ – he’s here to play.
- Scott Dixon (@ScottDixon9) – Fast Dog Dupree is keeping the Ganassi Gang in the hunt.
- Mike Conway (@mikeconwayindy) – Tea and crumpets for Jailhouse Duke Swift after a strong session.
- JR Hildebrand (@JRHildbrand) – a.k.a. Racin’ Rivers. We wanna know, though – who shot JR (out of a cannon)?
- Tony Kanaan (@TonyKanaan) – Fast Foot Smith is back to his old tricks, climbing the charts with a new turbo-charged tune.
- E.J. Viso (@EJVISO) – Pinball Jenkins has been bouncing the right way lately.
- Graham Rahal (@GrahamRahal) – Will Jump Start Jefferson bring it on home?
- Will Power (@12WillPower) – Burnout Bradley had a pole run ruined by a flag coming out. We think being the victim of someone else’s bad time is the classic definition of the blues.
- Simon Pagenaud (@SimonPagenaud) – Blind Corner Bradley (no relation) continues to impress as a newcomer to these parts.
- Ryan Hunter-Reay (@RyanHunterReay) – Speed Freak Jefferson thought qualifying on grass sounded fun. He spun out and is singing the blues.
- Ryan Briscoe (@Ryan_Briscoe) – Screechin’ McGee is singing “You picked a fine time to leave me, new clutch…”
- Marco Andretti (@MarcoAndretti) – Jailhouse Speedy Jackson didn’t live up to his name…
- Rubens Barrichello (@rubarrichello) – Speedy McGee’s road bro (Fast Foot Smith) knocked him out in the first round. Ol’ Speedy’s left swirling whiskey in a jar.
- Josef Newgarden (@josephnewgarden) – Bad Boy Thompkins had a miscue, but he’ll top the charts one day…and soon.
- Takuma Sato (@takumasatoracer) – Big Foot Davis will be punching up blues tunes only at the karaoke bar tonight.
- Sebastien Bourdais (twitterless) – Blind Hill McGee does the most with the least, but is still down on his luck.
- Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti) – Red “Sidewall” Jenkins still doesn’t have a hit from his new album, “Bagpipes & Blues.”
- Justin Wilson (@Justin_Wilson) – Boney Foot Bailey couldn’t keep it on the road.
- James Jakes (@JamesJakes) – Stealth Washington went mostly undetected.
- Simona de Silvestro (@Simdesilvestro) – Miss L. Davis sings the blues through a determined smile.
- Charlie Kimball (@CharlieKimball) – Wayon Back Smith is, well, way on in the back.
- Alex Tagliani (@tagliani) – Flyin’ Al Franklin is only flyin’ to and from venues so far.
- Ed Carpenter (@EdCarpenter20) – Oval Eyes Hopkins can’t wait for May.
- Katherine Legge (@KatherineLegge) – Twisty Parker stars in “Lotus Sings the Blues.”
- Orrriol Serrrvia (@OriolServia) – Ah, Rrred Flag Malone. “If it werrren’t for bad luck, he’d have no luck at all.”
We’ll see ya tomorrow with a race wrap-up!